Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Road Race - take 2!



I'm participating in the Cooper River Bridge Run at the end of this month. My brother John...specifically YOUNGER brother John....invited me to do this race together while we are down in Charleston, S.C. visiting my dad. My brothers - John and Rich (I'm the perfect middle child of course!) and I took my dad out last summer for some off-shore fishing and other general boy fun for a weekend and it was a blast. So much so we decided to do it again. It was great to connect with my brothers and create some great memories with all of us together. Here is a picture of John making sure Dad doesn't get yanked out of the boat reeling in a giant fish!

But I digress.....back to the Cooper River Bridge Run. Sort of...


The last time John and I tried to race together was about 6 years ago. We both needed a goal to lose a little weight and get in better shape. So we decided to start with a triathlon! Yeah....


After we had both registered for the race we started training. I soon discovered that I liked breathing WAY more than swimming and this led me to not competing. But I did get a very nice $40 T-shirt for my registration fee. John, meanwhile, trained very hard and went into the race with an adequate bike, a nice racing wet suit, and in decent shape. He competed....but alas took a wrong turn on the bike portion of the event and was disqualified. All in all not a very good showing for the Moss boys....


So - hopefully we will be able to do better and both compete in and finish the Bridge run. Of course, the fact that I had trouble registering on-line which caused me to actually register TWICE does not bode well. But I do now have 2 really nice $40 t-shirts....hopefully I'll actually run the race as well!


The race is a 10K - flat except for that 4th mile that is all uphill at an average 4% grade.....should be fun! I'll let you know how it goes in about 4 weeks.....

No comments: