Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Lenten ponderings....

Lent - such a season of "in-betweens" for me. More often than not, Lent feels like I'm swimming around without direction more so than the typical increased focused time on Jesus. Maybe it's because I feel like I don't spend enough quiet and reflective time with God anyway...then Lent comes around....and I increase my guilt quotia rather than my hope/joy thoughts.

Our family has given up TV for the past couple of years. This year we all seem to be doing our own thing - for some it's TV, others a "limit" on TV, others certain food. I was asking our youth group the other day if they chose to give up things for Lent - about half of them were. I still hadn't decided if I was going to or not and since we were already 3 days in my choices were becoming limited to that which I hadn't already taken part of or in.....rule based guy that I am. *YIKES*

Well - after pondering a little today I have decided the following:

I am choosing to give up not eating together as a family. I am going to try to gather us more often during this season to sit down and eat together. Of course without the buy in of everyone else this may be a problem but it is where my heart is.

I am also choosing to give up TV and look for opportunities to play more family games with my kids/wife/neighbors - whomever.

I am also going to try to read thru the Gospels - already behind on that plan but I did start today.

So - there you have it. I really feel like I need to focus on relationships - family/friends and thru these will be more connected to God....because God is ALL about relationships, and going deeper with us. So in the midst of all the people He has surrounded me with...I am going to try to search for Him there - in the people - and see what happens.

Lent......it's not about rules.....start something today.....don't beat yourself up....just start.

No comments: