Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Contrast and Conviction

I spent last weekend helping my parents move into their new home. They are living in Daniel Island, SC just outside of Charleston. It is a community that has been built in the last 10 years.
It is amazing. Million dollar homes, private golf community, world class tennis stadium, walking/biking trails, wonderful restaurants, a large Catholic High School, amazing parks, etc.

As I walked along the streets and paths my thoughts turned to the fact that in one week I would be in Mexico - working along side 70 other people from our church building 4 homes for families that have almost nothing. Other than the website for Amor ministries, I really don't know what to expect. Shelters with dirt floors, no running water or electricity - I have not actually been there before so I'm sure even my "expectations" of the conditions aren't close to accurate.

Traveling from such abundance to a place that struggles with just existing will be hard.

The contrast is going to be beyond my ability to express it.

Both communities are filled with people in need of restoration with God, self, others, and the world.

Of course, I don't have to look too far to remember that I live in abundance/luxury......

I pray that I am using my resources wisely - financial, personal, time, energy - to God's glory.

Speak to me, God. And use next week to open my eyes to whatever you want me to see.....

No comments: